Saturday, December 6, 2014

Thanksgiving

One doesn't realize what an American holiday Thanksgiving is until you move out of America. That has certainly been the case in Qatar. This is our 3rd Thanksgiving in this country, and each one has been so-so. I sound so Debbie-Downer, but I guess my point is that you just can't beat a home cooked turkey & fixins' around a table filled with loved ones. As expats, that is part of the price you pay by living half a world away. So, we improvise, and it works.
Year One: We had been here for 3 weeks. Didn't really 'know' anybody. Some of Matt's co-workers invited us to a Thanksgiving dinner buffet at the Intercontinental. It was amazing, amazing food. We were the only ones there with kids. 3 kids, aged 2 1/2 and 5 months. We stuffed our faces then left before bedtime.
Year 2: Ate dinner with the Arnold's in their home.
Year 3: Matt worked on Thanksgiving day, J2 went to school, and I went to The Sound of Music play that evening with girlfriends. Friday we had a potluck dinner and program at the Shumway's after church. No turkey; soups and salads, mostly. I made my standard: a 'turkey' veggie tray and pumpkin spice bundt cake with cream cheese frosting. The pumpkin was from home-made roasted pumpkin! First time doing that--and it turned out fab! Geraldine and Scott, our New Zealand friends, made delicious pavlova and we tried that for the first time. Afterwards, Maryan played Uno with 7 little kids while the parents talked outside, uninterrupted, for a full 25 minutes. It was heavenly. Bless her!!

You see? Not really traditional, but we make the most of it. Life is full of blessings and I'm Thankful for all this life has to offer us. Especially when we turn towards The Lord, He blesses us beyond measure. I am Thankful.
We also enjoyed Face Timing with these faces!! 
Can you tell my sisters are freaks?! I fit right in!!








No comments: