Monday, November 24, 2014

Doha Sights

Thobe Crossing
Just as you are walking into the grocery store.
Nutella jars bigger than your head (and heavier, too)
Endless jokes: the heat of Doha
Pink Rolls Royce
Know your thobe! So handy!
The Happy Khaleeji Family. Nanny not included.
And my personal favorite: Overspeed leads to Perdition!!
 
 There is nothing boutique about Isis.
 Lamb carcass?
 Pigeons!
 "window" shopping. who buys this stuff? (not the greatest pic of the vase, sorry)
 Pet falcons. Matt once told me that on his flight, an Emirati guy was coming to Doha for the falcon festival. He bought 6 first class tickets for his birds and the falconeers. As in, the falconeers were to hold all 6 birds on their fingers up in first class during the flight. Unfortunately, he didn't read the fine print. No pets are allowed in first class, so they had to all sit in economy. No Godiva chocolate back there. Boo. (But still kinda funny.)
 The nurse in me thinks that this chart is incredibly helpful and accurate! It was in the bathroom stall. I keep thinking of our EFY chant "It's getting hotter! So drink mo' water!"
 I included this picture so that I always remember that most retail things here in Doha are at least double what you would pay for them back home. Just like this fitbit.
 It's 100+ degrees outside and those are legs of lamb. yum.
 The 'saloon' or men's salon where we get the boys hair cuts at. They always wear these masks and I always think it's so funny!
 Try the DOugh HA concrete next time you are in Shake Shack! It's delicious! And, only available in Qatar:)
 Camping in the middle East. Below that blue horizon are the waters of the Persian Gulf. Just beyond that is Bahrain. Sometimes I forget that we are actually living here, so far away from home.

I love my lamp that I got in the Souq. It's handmade in Egypt. The shadows it leaves on my walls are amazing and I love the geometric design.
 I included these pictures because A) Matt is so handsome! and B) Qatar Airways has obviously been a big part of our lives since we moved here. I'm only mildly irritated when gourmet food pics show up in my photo stream while Matt's at work. I'm usually eating PB&J so the contrast makes me just laugh.
 

 This is why I stopped using the postal services here. It arrived mangled, 11 months after my mother had posted it. Nice.
 Matt waiting to taxi and takeoff because the Secretary of State was going first. This was in Amman, Jordan.
 Doesn't he just look like a million bucks?! Makes you want to go donate blood, right??
 Sand, sand, and more sand. The dunes are really impressive. It's quite the climb to the top. These dunes in particular are supposed to 'sing' when you go down them. It's like a reverberating hum as the sand falls away around you. Pretty cool.


 
 An afternoon in Aspire Zone park.
 One of my favorite mosques, it's just so beautiful!
I was trying to capture Eli's curly hairs and this guy totally photo bombed us!

No comments: